1.25.2013

Women and Comics

For my Contextualising Practice summative essay I've chosen to write about 'Feminism and the Fairy Tale', looking at the portrayal of women in traditional folk tales. After spending the last couple of months actively looking for graphic novels / comics either written by / aimed at women or with a female protagonist, I have decided to research this further with the possibility of discussing some of these issues in my essay. I borrowed From Girls to Grrrlz: A History of ♀ Comics from Teens to Zines by Trina Robbins from the library this week as a first point of reference, and I'm aiming to read Graphic Women: Life Narrative and Contemporary Comics by Hillary L. Chute afterwards. The culture of comics, especially the more mainstream titles / publishers has always seemed been incredibly male dominated both in terms of producers of comics and the consumers and I would like to explore the various reasons behind this.



5 comments:

  1. I have another good book by Trina Robbins about women cartoonists (although girls to grrls is probably more fitting). My friend wrote this blog about women in comics... http://coolschmoolzines.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/women-in-comics.html

    Ans Angela Carter has many short stories that are feminist twists on fairytales.

    Your essay sounds interesting!!
    Seleena

    ReplyDelete
  2. That post was amazing, thanks for sharing! I've only been reading comics for about a year so and had never heard of any of the women mentioned there before. I'll definitely have to check out some of their work, Angela Carter is on my to read list too!
    Thanks a bunch, I really love your zines by the way!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!!!
    I get all my comic info from my friend she knows a lot!!!
    I really like your illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! If you ever need any drawings doing for future zine things then let me know!
    I bought Sugar Paper #9 at the Manchester art gallery zine fair but was too shy n' lame to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh just saw this back, I was going to say you should have said hello at the zine fair, but we were probably stuffing our faces with biscuits, but we will be taking you up on that illustration offer!!!

    ReplyDelete